Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Colemak layout

Ya I know that this is after a long time. I am sorry as I was busy with some mundane tasks. So here is the news : I have switched my keyboard layout to "colemak". This saves me from RSI and promises to increase my typing speed as well. The speed factor is yet to be verified by me, but the RSI is certainly true. I followed cold turkey approach and it started showing results in 3-4 days. The biggest positive point is remapping Caps key to Backspace key, which itself reduces right pinky movement a lot. In debian it is as easy as these scripts that I am using.

#### file: ~/bin/switch_keyboard_layout_colemak.sh ####
setxkbmap us -variant colemak
xset r 66

#### file: ~/bin/switch_keyboard_layout_qwerty.sh ####
setxkbmap us;
xset -r 66

Reference : http://colemak.com/

2 comments:

552091 said...

Don't you use a GUI interface? Gnome, KDE, xfce all have keyboard configuration programs as well as panel applets to switch layouts quickly.

alind sharma said...

Hi Derek,
Thanks for the comment.
I do use a window manager, but the one that i use is fvwm with fvwm-crystal configs. As Gnome and Kde are both bloated too much. Xfce is good but it is also not that lightweigth.
Besides i have fully switched to colemak now and so I use these scripts only when some other person wants to use my machine. That happens rarely. And I have mapped shortcut keys for running these scripts as well. So I dont need an applet running all the time and consuming my memory (even though it may be minuscule) when I don't need its services so frequently.
:)