Monday, September 21, 2009

nfs-debian-squeeze-portmap-ext4

cryptic topic name?
Ya I know. But I was unable to find a better heading. I wasted my full week in searching for the solution of mounting nfs on the configuration of ext4+squeeze(debian)+nfs4. But was unable to do it. The reason was not obviuos due to my lack of networking knowledge (sorry I am a telecom+elex engg by degree). It was gving some rpc error. Finally i hit the nail. The problem was at the server from portmap as it was only listening to the localhost. I just opened /etc/default/portmap and commented the only uncommented line in it.

#OPTIONS="-i 127.0.0.1"

And just gave a restart to the machine. (I could have restarted portmap but the incidents/failures happened in last 1 week made me go for "the orthodox restart"). And voila everything (ok i agree - nfsmount :( ) started working on the client.
PS: The whole simple process is working fine on debian lenny release.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, I'd been looking for this for DAYS! Works, the other option you have is running dpkg-reconfigure portmap, it will walk you through it :)

alind sharma said...

Things work by collabaration and Its gr8 if I was of any help to u.