Wednesday, September 9, 2009

recording desktop using xtv

Recently one of my friend asked me for some way to record his desktop for some purpose. I told him to go for recordmydesktop. But as he is already running some heavy-weight applications , his system became too slow Then I introduced him to vnc (xvncserver) on local and record it on a remote machine. And he was a bit happy but still the memory consumption was quite high.
Then I found xtv which can be installed on debian as

#apt-get install xtv

And then on the machine whose display he want to view: remove -no-listen-tcp so that display can be exported. Then write

$xhost + remote_machine_ip

where remote_machine_ip is the ip where you want to run the recordmydesktop application. and then on the remote machine just run

xtv -d local_machine_ip:0

where local_machine_ip is the ip whose display you eant to record. And check the memory consumtion. This is the best I can get at this moment.

3 comments:

Gaurav Gupta said...

ok thanks sir i am gonna try it ,but one issue is it only for debian distribution ???

heartsandbrains said...

Thanks a ton for that help sir.... Especially for blogging the details so I can refer to it on future....
:-)

alind sharma said...

@gaurav
It should be available fro other distribution as well. You can always use "alien" for converting deb package to rpm. Also I liked using "istanbul" instead of "recordmysedktop".