Monday, September 7, 2009

process viewers

From a long time I was dependent on top and gnome-system-monitor for looking for the culprit process and killing them at my whim. Now I found another pair of tools which are better suited for my kind of job (looking for culprit and killing 'em). These can be installed on debian by

#apt-get install htop iotop

The htop gives process view in a bit graphical(can I use this word here) format. Also you can see cpu core wise usage. All the blood-shed is possible here. And the second one i.e. iotop helps in finding the cause of the churning sound coming from harddisk (basically amount for I/O for those few privileged users of flash HD). So enjoy using these tools. Once again I m in love with linux-debian.

And also one more news: debian is moving to time based release system with the delivery of "squeeze" expected in Dec this year.

No comments: